About

Post Cafe Marrickville

History

The Marrickville Post Office was designed by architect James Barnett and when it opened in 1891, it combined a post office, telegraph office and residence in the one building.The building represents the establishment of the precinct as the main business district of Marrickville following the construction of the tramline along Marrickville Road in 1881.At the time, the Marrickville Post Office would have been the most prominent and substantial building in town and the site of important meetings.

pc

Today, the building is home to the Marrickville Post Cafe and it continues to be a lively meeting place for our local community while retaining much of its original character including the wooden floors, high ceilings and gorgeous arched windows.

+ There are no comments

Add yours